Saturday, October 04, 2008

My Conference Report

...well sort of.

Heading into Conference Weekend I thought we would be hearing a lot of how we need to prepare because times are going to be rough, making sure we are out of debt, having out food storage in place, having a cash reserve, etc. All of which we are really trying but it isn't happening like we would ideally like. I was so pleased with the first two talks in the afternoon session of conference. The first talk by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin was about seeing happiness through difficult times. I felt he was telling us to laugh more. We do have a lot of laughter in our home, but i fear the kids don't see me laugh enough. We are so abundantly blessed, that I have no reason not to laugh. This is not to say we don't deal with hard things, but we have are needs met and more importantly we have the gospel surrounding our family. The second talk was from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. His talk was basically saying we are never alone and he testified a few different times that there are Heavenly Angels who help us but there are earthly ones as well, he specifically mentioned his mother and his wife. No matter what happens we are never alone. Neither of these things are new to me but i always need a reminder so the cloud of gloom and doom doesn't surround me.

Another major theme was Hope. It was mentioned so many times by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I couldn't help but feel these talks were given for me to remind me of the scary economic times our country is heading towards and the threat of so many small business owners going to struggle for a time, there is Hope. It was all so positive, I love it and I need to surround myself by this attitude "POSITIVE!" I can't wait for tomorrows talks.

Just incase you aren't familiar with the term General Conference or Conference Weekend here is a little info. Twice a year, the first weekend of April and the the first weekend of October, is what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints call General Conference. It is when the leaders of our church speak to us and give us, the church as a whole, guidance. The leaders are President Thomas S. Monson, with his counselors, Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (Both of the counselors are typically refererred to President also since they are in the First Presidency why I am not sure just out of respect I guess). Then there is the Quorum of the twelve, and quorums of Seventy. There are four general sessions, two on Saturday and two on Sunday. Since technology has become so amazing, we get to watch it at home, via cable, satellite or like we do via Internet. There is another session that is specifically for the men ages 12 and up that is called the Priesthood Session. For the October session, the week preceding is the General Relief Society Broadcast (for those women who have graduated High School typically over 18). In April it is the General Young Women's Broadcast for ages 12-18 (or graduation) and their leaders. That is General Conference in a nutshell.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 2