Saturday, October 04, 2008

Our musically inclined family

I can say the musical talent that has been evident since birth in my children did not come from me!, I may be able to hear a tune but not replicate it without being drowned out by music. This is not a pathetic attempt at modesty this is brutal honesty! Well maybe my kids don't carry uber music talent but I am in awe and think they are awesome. There are a couple funny songs that Hannah likes to sing here are her lyrics.

Version 1
"A, B, C, D, E, F, G, How I wonder what you are, up above the world so high..."
See how smart she was, I think it was just last year that I learned that the ABC song and Twinkle, Twinkle used the same music.

Version 2
"A, B, C, D E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, BYU, now I know my ABCs next time won't you sing with me"

To some the ABCs of life do revolve around BYU football so I thought this would be a great one to share.

Onto Miranda...this girl was born to love music and can more often than not be singing or thinking of music. We registered her for a 4 week music course through our city. I know she is young but we figured if she has been given the gift of singing lets make sure she learns to use her instrument correctly. It is really low key. She has been in it for two weeks and week one was learning to breathe like a baby (deep breaths raising and lowering your abdomen rather than just your chest) and holding long notes at least that is what she said last week. This was not the main story I wanted to to share though. Over the summer, Miranda and a friend or two decided to start a band. Miranda asks everyone. So school has since started and she continues to ask people to be in her band. I had a little girl ask if they Miranda could come over for band practice at her grandpa's house. Another mom stopped me to inform me that her son is going to play the keyboard in the band. HOLY COW this girl has sold her dream to the whole second grade! Needless to say she has a list of song titles and Jeremy is the one she bugs daily to write the lyrics. For some odd reason he only wants to write songs about Star Wars and she doesn't approve. She makes him stick to "the list." It is really cute and I hope her love of music only grows.

Haylie is also gifted. OK not really gifted either but smart. Jeremy's favorite game to play is "Who sings this song?", What is the Name of this song?," etc. for most this is fun for me it is painful, music is typically back ground music to my ever busy thinking, notice I didn't say productive thinking just busy. So as we were listening to General Conference this afternoon. The children's choir provided the music. The last song came on and I asked "what song is this?" Haylie said "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" It was in like four notes. It was amazing. We have been practicing the songs for our Primary Children's Program at church. It is so nice to know our kids are listening.

I guess what makes me the most proud is that music has touched me a lot this summer, I can feel the spirit so much stronger so it thrills me to know that my kids love music so much. I didn't mention Logan but he loves to sing but he is still a boy and tends to get real goofy, and if Lauren ever chooses to use and understandable language we will be able to hear what she sings. Her favorite song is a Disney version of Three Little Pigs, she grunts along.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 2