Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Here I go again...

I knew I had a problem but now I am admitting it to the world wide web. When a problem or difficult situation happens I can't help but think about it constantly. I can't help but think about Prop 8 ALL the time. I think I lost a lot of sleep, partly being pregnant and needing to toss and turn a lot, but when I would turn I would think about it again and again!

I think about the different ways this can affect our lives. Of course the threat for good ol' California is to be the fore runner to whatever happens in other states...like Connecticut, is scary to all. Now I want to remind you that I am writing from my own thoughts and perspective, not as a mouth piece for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). While I hope what I say is in accordance with what I have been taught and how the church stands, I am an individual and am prone to mistakes.

It has really bothered me about how much the word hate has been used in this campaign. Whether in reference to hate speech, hate crimes, etc. Why does differing opinions have to result in that? Never has that kind of action been endorsed or promoted by the church. It has always been approached as this is what we believe but you are never to treat others unkindly. I was thinking about how Jesus would respond, you know the ever cliche WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?). The more I thought of it the more I turned to his example. Jesus was amongst the sinners, the poor, the outcasts. Those are who he was most compassionate towards. He used their situations to teach others how to love all. Of course some of the practices about cleanliness were just ridiculous and Jesus showed that there is no reason to isolate them, that we are to show compassion. The people who sinned, for example the lady who was taken in adultery (John 8), Jesus loved them. He also did not say "although I know what you are doing is not in accordance with My Father, keep doing it, it's your choice. He loved them, taught them what was right and told them to "sin no more." Would he love them less if they chose to continue on with their mistake, NO! He loved all.

While we are not to judge others ever, it does not mean that we are excused from following His teachings. None of us are perfect, but when I think about what could happen it makes me sad. There are a lot of different points of view on this matter. I would never mock or say mean things about some one else, but at the same time I want to worship in a way that I feel is pleasing to the Lord, not because the government decided it is not politically correct. We, as members of the LDS church have what we call the Articles of Faith. There are thirteen of them and they state pretty clearly what we believe as members of our church. There are two I want to point out.

The first is 11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

The other is 12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

These two in particular stood out because we believe we need to uphold the law, we also believe that we should be free to choose how, when and where we worship. This of course is not limited to only members of the LDS church, it is for all people. This allows interpretation for religious beliefs, but it also, to me, means that others should not force their beliefs on you as an individual. Most churches have a structure or core belief system, if that structure does not suit your beliefs then you have the right and privilege to attend else where. Where the conflict occurs is that we need to follow the law. If the law dictates how we worship, what are we to do? That is why the argument of Prop 8 attacks religious freedom. I think of marriage and it is a word that means a joining of two people before God, and the God I believe in, have faith in and a testimony of, has taught me that this is between a man and a woman.

With that being said we all have the right to free speech. We put a sign in our front yard and so did a couple neighbors. They were all stolen last night. I know we are not the only one that this has happened to. If all the political signs were stolen it would at least be fair that some one wants no voice to be heard. Or if all Prop 8 signs were taken down, but only Yes on Prop 8 signs. This is frustrating, and I am not saying that this action represents everyone who plans on voting no, it doesn't have to be this way!

ETA: I have been told there was a news story that this is going both ways, I am sorry that people feel they need to do it either way. I would also say the few people who are taking the signs down ruin it for both sides. It doesn't help your cause.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

Super good post April. I've been dropping off signs and several people who requested to have a sign in their yard have declined because they are scared of getting egged or their cars/homes damaged. Tolerance indeed.

Cory and Becca said...

Great post April. The beauty of this country is our opportunity to express our beliefs. It is so sad when others seem to think not everyone should have such graces and resort to theft or violence in efforts to thart it. That is where true ignorance and prejudice brews. I read this post today along some of your same thoughts...

http://mom-o-six.blogspot.com/2008/10/now-this.html

Janelle said...

I think it's only going to get worse. I've been scared to do anything, even make calls, but crazy enough I have been getting great responses! I really like the Articles of Faith bit. Hopefully all of our efforts will be rewarded.

Anonymous said...

What a cute little blog you have.

2 Timothy 1: 7-8 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord"

Keep the faith!

Swidget 1.0 2