Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Christmas Dream

Up through Tuesday we had the ideal Christmas. Then our Christmas dream became a nightmare. At about 3:00am Christmas Eve it went down hill. Jeremy woke up with VIOLENT tummy troubles. "Both faucets on" is how he put it. That lasted for about four hours before it slowed down. I was able to go to my Doctor appointment (report to follow). We had babysitting planned and Jeremy was going to go but was more worried about how he was going to survive. Our good friends were willing to take on four of our kids so Miranda could go with me to visit the doctor. By the time I got home around 11:30 I was in the midst of the same illness, although not with the same violence as Jeremy. We spent the rest of the day among the land of the dead. The kids were absolutely fabulous. They got along well, watched movies and stayed pretty calm and not needy. They were amazing. We were unable to go to our family Christmas Eve dinner, but pity was taken on us and they went and got Happy Meals for our kiddos. Nothing like Christmas with McDonald's. The kids were just as pleased although they missed their cousins. Jeremy and I tried to make the most of it and read Luke 2 to the kids while they acted it out. Then thankfully parenthood was over for the night. We put them to bed after putting out cookies and milk for Santa, and Carrots and a bowl of water for the reindeer. Those were disposed of rather quickly in a nontradional way! It was a toss up as to who had the least amount of energy.

After the darlings were asleep we had required duties to take care of. I truly contemplated telling the kids Santa did not want to come because he couldn't afford to get sick when he had so many deliveries. Luckily we had just enough borrowed energy to get things in order. We didn't, however, get our presents out. On the way back to bed I knew I was going to loose it. Well I did, all over the bathroom floor. Luckily, if you can say that, it was all on the linoleum and all that I had was water so it looked like the kids got a little crazy with the sink. When we woke up this morning we were feeling considerably better and were able to get everything in order before the kids woke up.

We had our little family Christmas with no major incidents, then went to Mom J.'s house for presents. We got there at noon and the kids enjoyed opening presents and playing with their cousins. At about 2:30 the kids ate lunch. Jeremy and I were still on the "I won't eat if it's the last thing I do diet." About 15 minutes later Haylie experienced the same lovely illness as Jer and I. Again luckily, it was over the hard wood floors. Unfortunately, her Aunt's brand new, less than a month old, Genuine Ugg boots received some splatter, UGH! Can you clean those? So our Christmas celebration came to a quick close as we told everyone of our kids to hold their breath, not to pass on germs, and get in the car really quick. Everyone was very nice about it, I can only hope that this ends with our family and we didn't infect anyone.

This has been the most nontraditional Christmas. The kiddos have been so good and we have heard "This is the BEST Christmas ever" lots of times. Jeremy and I just look at each other and laugh. It at least goes to show our kids have low expectations. As of now I just can't help but dream of a healthy Christmas next year!

1 comment:

April P. said...

This sounds terrible! I had no idea! How are you all now? Did it spread like wildfire? We're just waiting for it to hit us. I almost want to hibernate in my house for a week! I heard this tale from a few people in my ward too. They were all throwing up on Christmas eve too. Not Fun!

Swidget 1.0 2