Friday, September 26, 2008

Scriptural Insight...

I have recommitted to studying my scriptures every morning before the kids get up. Yes for me this is a big deal. My alarm goes off at 6:15. I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON..well I guess I am just not a tired person, I don't do well with being tired. Anyways, there are lots of standard scriptures and well known stories that people can quote and have learned alot from. I am starting to get my own insight. I have probably heard it before but it is awesome when you discover the insight for yourself.

This morning I was reading in the Book of Mormon. I was reading in 1 Nephi 16 starting in verse 14. This is where Nephi and his brothers are hunting in the wilderness for food. They are successful for a time. They are given direction through the Liahona. Then Nephi goes hunting and breaks his bow. Everyone gets frustrated with him and the oft used word, they murmured, even the righteous Lehi murmured. Nephi spoke to them then he made a new bow and asked for guidance as to where to hunt. Then in verse 29 it says:
And there was also written upon them a new writing, which was plain to be read, which did give us understanding concerning the ways of the Lord; and it was written and changed from time to time, according to the faith and diligence which we gave unto it. And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things.

The part that stood out to me is that for a time, season, etc., things will go good, then something bad may happen. Like Nephi, we do need to do what we can, in accordance with the Lord's will, but we still need to seek Him with faith and diligence. It is then that we will truly see the blessings of the Lord even the small things that can make the greatest of changes in our lives. Alot of times it is so much easier to complain about the situation, but we have been given our own Liahona, or compass. We have been given scriptures, a prophet who lives today, along with many other inspired leaders. These are the things we need to seek after diligently. Then the faith part...I have found that having faith is not too hard it is having the faith to act upon what I have learned or been prompted to do. This failure to act has been pointed out to me recently as fear. Faith is unknown, so sometimes we know the right decision but it is to scary to take that step forward, kind of like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. When he is stepping off what looks like a cliff and takes "a leap of faith." It looks like it truly is faith that will keep him walking on thin air, but there is a path, Indy just can't see it. Our Heavenly Father has a path for us, we just need to have faith in Him when we follow it, at times when it seems like we need to show blind faith, instead of hopelessness or anger.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 2