Friday, February 12, 2010

He loves me!

I got to take Jackson to the doctor today, surprise, he is a growing healthy young boy. As we were driving there a song in the Children's Songbook from church was playing. My Heavenly Father Loves Me (click to hear the music or watch the video below with the words)



Here are the lyrics if you don't want to click:
1. Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav’nly Father created for me.

2. He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev’rently
For all his creations, of which I’m a part.
Yes, I know Heav’nly Father loves me.

Words and music: Clara W. McMaster, 1904–1997. © 1961 IRI. Arr. © 1989 IRI

This year in Primary (the group of kids at church from ages 3-11) our theme is I Know my Savior Lives. Then each month is broken down to a monthly theme. As I was reading each month I noticed that this whole year is about helping the children go back to the basics of gaining a testimony. January's theme was "We believe in God the Eternal Father and in His Son Jesus Christ." I think this is a great way to start out. When you gain a testimony this is the very first thing you need to believe and KNOW to be true (real, sound, unchangeable...). Then going even further it breaks it down more week. The last two weeks were "Heavenly Father and Jesus love me."

That is where the song ties in. There are so many great things around us that we take for granted, tiny details like the "colors of butterfly wings", or the "touch of a velvet rose." Now that we know such beauty it would be weird to think of anything less. If a butterfly was just one plain color or if a rose just felt like paper, as always Heavenly Father went the extra mile and added more than what we needed.

I am not very talented when it comes to music, I have no rhythm and the only notes I can carry are ones in a book...on paper! I am thankful for the "magical sound of things." I have come to appreciate music and what it can add. It is so powerful and can really bring in the spirit and prepare you for teaching and learning. On the same note it is equally powerful that it can take away the spirit and lead you down a darker path. On a non musical note, I love email, the computer, surfing the net. There is generally no sound. It is so easy to misinterpret how someone is saying something when you don't hear it. Maybe the exclamation was one of joy but because you didn't hear it you though it was anger. I am so grateful for ears!

The part that touches me the most is the last four lines of the second verse. "He gave me my life, my mind, my heart, I thank him reverently" He gave each of us a body to do with it what we will, he gave us our mind to choose which path we want to take, he gave us our heart so that we can love passionately, to be able to guide our mind with a feeling. He thought of everything. For that I am especially grateful. I don't think I spend enough time acknowledging my gratitude. More than anything I know that He does love me, imperfections and all.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 2