Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Love being crafty

After a year or so of telling Jeremy I would like to sew but NEED a new sewing machine, he finally splurged and got me one. Before you judge him please know that I have a very short attention span so investing any sum of money is always a risk. Just look at the dust on my scrapbooking stuff, I am well supplied in case of an emergency! This makes the purchase of a sewing machine an even bigger deal!

I have mentioned before that I have been blog stalking. I came across a blog, Chocolate on my Cranium. It had a tutorial for a crayon roll. So I convinced a friend that we should make this since we only hang out when we have a project. We went a few weeks ago to pick out fabric. She also decided that for her little guy she wanted to use twistables. I am a great follower and decided to do the same. So here is the finished project.

Since we went with twistables we had to make some modifications. The pack comes in 24, but I was only able to fit 19 of them in my roll. Instead of 13 x 5" pieces of material we did 20 x 6, although I would recommend more like 26". I also decided to put a piece of thin plastic over the back so the crayons won't mark it up when they are taken in and out, because of the plastic lining and the plastic on the crayons, the slits need to be a little further apart. The plastics kind of stick to each other in the super snug pockets. I did 1" instead of the recommended 3/4" which would probably work fine if you didn't use the plastic lining. Also I did 28" on the ribbon.

n the picture you can't see where I can not, for the life of me, sew a straight line, or when "pressing the fabric" I melted the plastic, of course after it is too late to do anything about it...there are imperfections but I really am pleased. These will be Christmas presents for the five kids who can color. Yeah for trying something new. I think I am going to have to think of more sewing projects!!!!

1 comment:

smith scratch said...

Fantastic! I always want to be "crafty" but I have a "one craft mind". :]

Swidget 1.0 2