Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wordfull Wednesday: Fathers

Topic: Father's Role in a Family "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families." (Family Proclamation, paragraph 7)

This subject is especially dear to me.  As the years have gone on, I have realized that the people I am drawn to or have a healthy amount of confidence, that seem (I said seem because no one ever REALLY is) well balanced, are ones who have a good, healthy relationship with their fathers.  I think this is so important.  Being raised mostly by my mom until I was 12 when she remarried, I didn't get to really see what a father's role was in the family.  For the most part, my friends also came from a similar situation.  This is the same for Jeremy as well.

I know in the world today it is constantly inferred that women are equal to men, which I agree, but where I feel differently is that men and women each have a role to play.  Men are given the natural desire to solve problems and provide for their families neccesities, using their mind.  Where women are more driven by their heart.  This is also not to say that women are dumb and men are heartless, I said MORE driven, there is a balance.

I see some marriages where the woman is dominant and it seems to work well, but I can't help but wonder how the husband feels when the wife takes over.  Does it make him feel that he doesn't provide well for his family, that she does not trust his ability to care properly for his family, does it take away from his role? 

I feel it is Jeremy's divine role as husband and father to receive guidance, counsel, and inspiration on how to lead our family, it is my role to be his partner in following that counsel.  If I really have a problem then we get to talk about it and since he is a righteous man he does listen to my concerns.  Jeremy is the head of our household and I trust him explicitly with that.  I know with out a doubt that he has the best intentions to care for our family and each one of us knows that he loves us.

I love to watch how each of the kids interact with him on a daily basis, there is not enough time in the day for Jeremy to spend a much time as he wants with our kids, but he makes an effort to hug our kids daily and make sure they know he loves them.  He does not rule our house with a heavy hand or the threat of fear.  Our kids always feel safe in his presence and they are proud to call him daddy.  Ever since they could crawl each of them heads to the door when he gets home from work.  Haylie and Hannah bouce over to him and into his arms with a tight squeeze.  Logan quickly requests some Wii time with him.  Miranda always knows he will ask about her day.  Jackson and Lauren know that we will change diapers and get their milk cups for them, often times followed by some cuddle time.

I am sure Jeremy is probably getting tired of reading about "how awesome" he is, but I could not have asked for a better husband and father to guide our family, to provide for us and to help us always feel safe in our home.  I don't feel that I am the only one who has gotten this lucky, I think everyone who is happy feels this way, it is the way the Lord created his plan for marriage.  We are two equal pieces in this great Plan of Happiness, it was how it was designed.


3 comments:

Danielle said...

I totally agree!

Montserrat said...

You make a great point about men and women being equal. It is when we fulfill our individual roles that we are truly equal.

Anonymous said...

Great post! :)

Swidget 1.0 2